CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Twilight

My love affair began at a very young age. Something about the way that you could step into a whole new world and be a completely different person seduced me, and pulled me in. I've never looked back.

From what I hear, I asked to have everything under the sun read to me, and I tried to read everything I could get my hands on. In fact, not much has changed in the past 23 years. When asked what I wanted for my birthday, my usual response was a question inquiring if we could go to the bookstore, and buy more books. (To those of you out there who have ever wondered about what to buy me as a present, you can 't go wrong with a book!) There's just something about a brand new book, with it's ever elusive cover, crisp new pages, and undiscovered treasures waiting to be read and imagined... My "perfect" day consists of a beautiful sunny day, preferably laying on a beach (or a hammock if I can't make it to the beach - as long as I'm in the warm sun I'm happy) with a brand new book I've never read. There's something truly magically about opening the book and taking the words in. I love being completely pulled into a story, becoming one with the characters as if I know them, and walking the halls of the many homes and countries as if they're my own. It's almost heartbreaking when you finish, because you have to say goodbye to the characters you've become so close to as you've read.

No, I'm not crazy, just passionate. I've always been this way. In fact, my passion is probably what prompted me to fall in love with writing. I used to take such comfort in curling up with some paper and a pen and letting my imagination flow onto the paper creating this whole new world I only wish I could be part of. Not that I don't like my life, I just also enjoy a little adventure! :) Over the past few years I've slacked, lagged behind in something that truly used to consume me - I had so much to say, so many things in my mind that they were just begging to be put onto paper. I just finally took a step outside of my imagination and took a look around me at the real world, and decided it wasn't so bad after all. Haha! In high school, writing was my solace because I hadn't yet found myself. I was desperately trying to be something I wasn't, trying to fit myself into this mold that just didn't fit. Like Sleeping Beauty trying to wear Cinderella's shoe. I can honestly say that if I were to sit down and write right now, at this moment, my writing would be much more mature than it ever was. Yes, I'm older, but I also have a greater understanding of human nature, life, and love. I know I have the talent to be published, maybe even a bestselling author, but I have to make the time to actually write in order for that particular dream to come true.

Which brings me to the whole point of this post. I am not a trend seeker, or follower. In fact, I'm quite the opposite. I get so annoyed with people being caught up with something "just because everyone else is" that I shy away from it just to be different and do my own thing. I usually eventually come around, but only after the craziness of the trend has worn off. However this time, I didn't do so well on escaping the newest trend... although I've fought it off for several months!! I first heard about Twilight on a teacher website (of all places). These women were so passionate and so excited about the latest one in the series coming out that I had to investigate. Curiousity got the best of me. I'll admit, easily, that I have a bit of a "dark" side at times. Human nature (as a whole) is morbid, so I have no problem admitting it. I absolutely love scary movies, and I've gotten attached to a new genre of fiction: paranormal romance. I blame Nora Roberts because she's initially the one that hooked me... but now I can add Stephanie Meyers to the list. Months have passed... my cousin caved, then my sister caved, and finally I couldn't stand it anymore. (Stupid sibling rivalry.) I just had to know what was so great about this book!

I finished it last night. I read a 500 page book in 2 days - it would have been 1 if I hadn't had to go to work!! I simply couldn't put it down. I have never been one for reading in the first person, because usually they are poorly written and don't capture the reader very well. Not in this book! I was completely and utterly captivated from the first page. Now, I'm not one of those people that's going to go completely beserk and claim that Edward the undead hunk is my one true love. It's just fiction, people. However, I can easily see how this book has hooked teens and adult women alike...and fallen madly in love with "the bad guy".

You can pick up any romance book from the appropriate section at Barnes and Nobles (believe me, I have quite the collection) and they all follow the same basic plot and have this guy with amazing qualities that usually hook you along with the heroine. But is your hero usually a vampire? Is your hero the guy that everyone supposed to fear? Would you have truly thought that you would fall in love with something that horror movies are made about? All I can say is wow. Something about the way the Stephanie Meyers writes puts you into Bella's shoes and makes you feel the way that she feels: her turmoil of emotions, her physical reactions, the strength of her love for Edward... it's completely unnerving because on many levels, it seems so real. If you've ever been in love, are in love, you understand Bella. I realize that she's not real, but I almost take offense for her when I read critics talk about how "stupid" she is - when in reality, she's incredibly bright and just completely in love. There goes that hopeless romantic in me... Hey, sometimes love makes you do stupid things.

Beauty and the Beast is one of the most beloved fairy tales, and one of my personal favorites. I have to ask: how is this story any different than Twilight? You can't help who your heart chooses, how much you love them, or even always rationalize your decisions. It happens. See, there's the passion and the hopeless romantic going off... God help me. This book completely reminded me of how much I love reading, and that it's not too late to write that best-seller. Stephanie Meyers wrote her best-seller at soccer practice and in between running errands for her kids - I sure can do it, right?? It's not often that I get to have an "awakening" because of a book that I've read - and when I do... I love it! I can't wait to read the other three and see where it goes. If you haven't read it, go check it out!!

I'm not sure I'll see the movie - I've seen enough previews to already be annoyed that it doesn't follow the book as closely as I'd hoped - which is always a downside when they make a movie out of a book. If you don't believe me, read The Devil Wears Prada and you'll soon understand. Grrrrrr. Anyways. The acting looks kind of crappy, Edward is not the hunk that I imagined as I sat in high school (yet once again) and flew through dark forests... Charlie is just plain hideous (Bella's dad) and they even messed up some of the best lines in the book. Yes, I know, my passion is flaring again... but really? If you're going to turn in a best-selling novel into a movie, really pull from what makes the book so intense. Seriously, read the book.

1 comments:

Anonymous

ok first off, I finished the book... and yes like twighlight......it is quite good, and yes I like vampires, and now on the second book.. and now i dislike Edward for many reason... that you will figureout on your own. I've been writing alot lately... mainly b/c I haven't really been able to sleep very much, and i see why you escaped into writing alot. Twighlight, is a very good book, and is my list of favorites, but it's not the best I've ever read, neither is Harry Potter so don't even go to the I like Harry Potter more, b/c I like them equally the same. I honestly don't know the best book I've ever read... I love escaping my entire life all the drama, the fact I'm alone, and go into a world where everything can be amazing and perfect... fun..

Twighlight, has opened my eyes however to how much I really do love fiction and always have loved the odd and things that could NEVER happen in a million years. Twighlight is a great book, and that's all i have to say