I'm going to preface this wealth of information by saying that during the week, I have no life. For instance, last week I worked every day until 6 or later. For those of you that aren't aware, this is what teaching is (at least in public school)!! So basically, I have no time to research extra-curricular activities or do much of anything for myself because I'm completely exhausted by the time I get home and I don't want to do much of anything but sit down (my poor legs are really tired!) and rest up for the next long day. That being said... I've been on the hunt for some really fun things to do as a family during this holiday season. We are in dire need of some amazing new memories, and I think we did great during the month of October! Unfortunately, we have 2 more months to get through and replace some traditions that need some remaking. Luckily, I have put all my faith in GOOGLE! :) Here are some of the REALLY exciting things I've come across. ENJOY!!!
November 14 - January 3: Gaylord Texan (Grapevine)
- ICE! and Lone Star Christmas
Lone Star Christmas at Gaylord Texan will dazzle visitors with magnificently decorated resort atriums featuring over 1.2 million holiday lights, electric train displays, a life-size Gingerbread House, and 15,000 sparkling holiday ornaments... just to name a few. Special guests of Lone Star Christmas will include Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus with live reindeer, and a variety of strolling holiday entertainers and much more! Visit http://www.gaylordtexan.com/ for tickets and more information (which isn't much more than what I copied and pasted here).
November 27, 2008: Turkey Trot (Ft. Worth)
There's one in Dallas as well: http://www.thetrot.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Page&PageID=1000000. For info on the one here in Ft. Worth, go to https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=1776 for times, registration info, etc... It begins at 8am for the 5K, 9am for the 10K, and there's a 1K Gobbler trot for kids at 9:15am. This is help on Camp Bowie in Ft. Worth (or at least begins there) and early registration ends November 16.
November 28-30: Choose & Cut a Christmas Tree! (Burleson)
At Mainstay Farms in Burleson, TX you can choose, cut, and take away your Christmas tree! Go to http://www.mainstayfarm.com/ for hours. Saws are provided. :)
November 28 - January 4: Six Flags Over Texas (Arlington)
-Holiday at the Park
OK, so this one isn't something new... but it's still fun! They even have a snow hill!!! Visit http://www.sixflags.com/ for more info and prices.
November 28, 2008: 26th Annual Sundance Parade of Lights (Ft. Worth)
This is basically exactly how it sounds: a parade of lights! But, it also includes the annual lighting of the Christmas tree! (Which I personally have never seen.) Visit http://www.sundancesquare.com/ for more info.
November 29 - December 21: Sundance Square (Ft. Worth)
- Snowflakes, Sugarplums, and SANTA!
You'll see a dazzling display of glittering lights, buildings decked in holiday finery, and restaurants and retail stores all wrapped up and filled with sweet surprises. Look for Santa Claus, too! He can be found each weekend near the towering 56' Fort Worth Christmas Tree in Sundance Square. The jolly old elf is back from the North Pole and is bubbling over with holiday cheer. Come see his enchanting Nutcracker home located on Main Street between Third and Fourth streets. His bright red sleigh sits atop a bold and beautiful stage that is guarded by a 10' Nutcracker Prince and Mouse King. The majestic tree, adorned with thousands of lights, snowflakes and bright red balls, serves as a perfect backdrop for photos.
December 4, 2008: Parade of Lights (Grapevine)
North Texas' largest lighted Christmas parade, The Parade of Lights, will dazzle thousands of merrymakers with a captivating display of over 100 colorfully lighted floats, which pass through Historic Downtown Grapevine to the tunes of festive holiday music provided by numerous marching bands. The parade will take place on Dec. 4 and will begin at Main St. and Vine St. and heads north on Main St. to Wall St. The parade is free and open to the public.
December 4-19: Grapevine Vintage Railroad (Grapevine - Fort Worth)
- The Polar Express on the Tarantula Train!
Each Saturday and Sunday the 4th-19th offers a one-hour train ride listening to the Polar Express and singing carols! Call 817.410. 3123 for more info. Tickets are $16 a piece. Go to http://tarantulatrain.com/events.asp for tickets and times. At the Grapevine Depot there are even more "Christmasy" (yes, I know that's not a word, blame my inner child!) events to do once off the train!! From what I understand, this is only at the Grapevine Depot, not the Stockyards one. I would call the phone number to double check.
December 5, 2008: Movie Night Under the Stars (Burleson)
- Mainstay Farms movie night!
Gates open at 7pm, movie starts at 7:30. This year they're showing Elf (which if you haven't seen, you should!) and they provide hot chocolate, cider, popcorn, and more at the Grill on the farm. Go to http://www.mainstayfarm.com/movie_night.html for info. This event is free!!! :)
December 5-21: The Nutcracker (Ft. Worth)
This is seriously one of my favorites in the entire world! I've never been able to make a tradtion out of this, but maybe it's time I start. I have loved The Nutcracker since I was little bitty, and it's a childhood memory I hold dear: I was even in it when I was little! :) Go to http://www.texasballettheater.org/ for more information and tickets!
December 6, 2008: Jingle Bell Run (Ft. Worth)
The 5K walk/run begins at 5 pm in downtown Ft. Worth. You can dress in holiday cheer (there's actually a costume contest!), wear bells (literally), or just wear your most comfortable walking/running gear and participate in this event that sponsors the arthritis foundation. (The 1 mile Fun Run begins at 4:15.) Early registration for this run ends on November 14, regular but registration goes all the way through the day before the race. If you can get a group together, you get a discounted rate! Your dog can be registered for $5 extra as well. :) Go to http://fortworthjinglebellrun.kintera.org/ for info and registration.
December 6, 2008: Twinkle Boat Light Parade on Lake Grapevine (Grapevine)
Lake Grapevine to twinkle with holiday cheer! The water of Lake Grapevine will glisten during the Twinkle Light Parade on Lake Grapevine at dusk on Dec. 6. This lighted boat parade begins at Scott's Landing and ends at Little Pete's. It's a floating festival of lights on Lake Grapevine with a parade of boats decorated in their holiday finest! The parade is visible all along the shore of Lake Grapevine. Visit www.grapevinetexasusa.com for more info!
December 13, 2008: Holidays at the Hearth (Log Cabin Village, Ft. Worth)
Celebrate the holidays Village style! See how cabins would have been decorated, string some popcorn, help make pomander balls and tamales, spin the dreidel, and reflect on storied traditions as you pause from the holiday hustle and bustle. Make your own embossed greeting card to take home! No reservations required. Cost is regular Village admission plus a $2 craft fee to make a card. From 1-4pm. Visit http://www.logcabinvillage.org/ for more info.
December 13 & 14, 2008: Fair Park Holiday Lights (Dallas)
This one sounds really fun!!!
Bedazzle the holidays this year with music, lights, horse-drawn carriage rides, outdoor holiday movies at the Cotton Bowl, Dallas Wind Symphony concerts, plus free admission to the Fair Park museums and more at the Fair Park Holiday Lights, a two-day holiday festival on Saturday, December 13 and Sunday, December 14 on the grounds of Fair Park. Thousands of LED lights will be shining throughout the park during the holiday season! The family-friendly event will feature the Official City of Dallas Tree Lighting Ceremony on Saturday at 6 p.m., and there will be a special candlelight tribute to the men and women serving in the military both nights at that time. Come enjoy free admission to all Fair Park museums from 3 – 7 p.m. Visit http://www.fairpark.org/ for more information.
December 23 & 24 is the Dallas production of The Nutcracker - visit http://www.texasballettheater.org/ for more info.
I found almost all info on http://www.town-mall.net/community/events-december.html (you can go back and forth for different months). There are quite a few things listed on this site that are kid-friendly, but since we don't have kids yet I didn't include them. (Although if anyone is willing to give up their baby for a Saturday on the weekend, I don't mind taking him/her because I am seriously having baby issues right now and Michael and I would love it!!) I searched for a couple of other things and found them on different websites... but if there's something not listed that you know about please let me know!! :)
There were way too many Christmas Light tours and such to list, but here's the website with some really fun sounding tours!!!! http://www.town-mall.net/community/dfwchristmaslights.html There's an especially fun sounding one in Cleburne, TX. Wow! Go check it out!!
Also, please please share YOUR traditions and what your family does for the holidays. Like I said, our family is looking to revamp what we've done for years and years because we really need a change since my father is no longer around. Thanks so much!! :)
Love ya'll and happy holidays!!!
Monique
1 year ago

2 comments:
Hey lady I know exactly how you feel! I'm working like crazy! Also add to the list December 6th the Santa Pub Crawl in Fort Worth. We'll be predrinking at my house and there is a discount to stay at the Embassy Suites for anyone who wants to stay downtown. Get some rest and let's have fun this winter!
Wow did you ever do your homework! Don't think there's enough to time to do all of that but some really good ideas in there! We still need to plan a get together....although sounds like you will have a busy month!
Post a Comment