As "Year of Yes" began to develop right at the tail end of 2009, I wasn't quite sure what it meant to me personally. Yes, it meant saying yes to more things. It meant being less afraid of life, and more about grabbing life by the horns and living it to the fullest. Carpe Diem! as John Keating would constantly quote to his class... :) But what does that mean to me specifically? I didn't want it to just be something I randomly spurted out as an excuse for doing something possible "out of character" or joke around about... this, to me, was and still is a serious business.
I'll be devastatingly honest when I say that 2009, especially toward the end, was not so good, pretty horrific actually. I saw friendships, good friendships, unraveling as the year progressed. Relationships with family and other people falling apart...that I never even saw coming. Stress levels rising way above a normal level for me, and feeling less and less like myself as the end of the year drew closer. That was not OK with me in the least.
I'm a control freak. Yes, I realize that control is all an illusion and that technically, we really don't have control over anything at all. I've always fought issues with this... in early high school, it was my weight. I didn't feel like I had control over what "group" I made friends with, if guys thought I was cute, if I had a boyfriend, etc... so I chose what I ate (or didn't eat) very carefully and worked out like the RoadRunner chases the coyote: with no disregard. Was it smart? No. But I felt like I finally had control over something. So this time, instead of completely freaking out about all the things that I felt like I had no control over: money, friends, bills, drama at school, etc... I've really sat down and thought about what was bothering me and what I could do, in a positive way, to change it. I'm just now getting a really good grip on what I want out of this year, and the rest of my life - at least at this particular point in my life.
So you see, "Year of Yes" to me is much more than New Years Resolutions. It's not something I just want to do this year. It's more like life changes that I'm making, and "Year of Yes" is just the jumping off point. A celebration of life, and definitely having a much better year than last year, haha! 2010, "Year of Yes" is about a little less talk, and a lot more action! :)
Keep checking back here because I'm going to be randomly posting about my "Year of Yes" goals for myself, and I'm asking you guys to help hold me accountable! :) PLEASE!
Love y'all!
1 year ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment