Valentine's Day - 2004! Our very first Valentine's Day together! This past weekend was Valentine's Day, and I'll just be really upfront. I'm a very romantic person by nature. Always have been, always will be. I swoon over Romeo and Juliet, and the idea that two people can love each other so much that it overcomes anything. (Yes, I'm talking about The Notebook.) I love the idea that two people can see through all the bullshit that they put each other through, that the world throws at them, and unconditionally love each other despite it all. Because of it all. I'm not talking cheesy movies or romance novels (although I love both) because those don't show true love. It's very rare that someone takes the time to really show what love means on film. I've been through a lot in the past 10 years in relationships, and I've seen the good and the bad and the ugly. I'm old enough to know that when two people love each other, they don't need the excuse of a holiday to show it. So, no. Michael and I didn't exchange sappy gifts, he didn't send me flowers at work, I didn't get fancy jewelry, blah blah blah.
I'd much rather get flowers just because Michael was thinking of me. I'd much rather randomly cook a sweet breakfast for my husband one morning, just because I want to. I'd rather get an e-mail, text, message, or card for no reason at all than to get one because Hallmark demands it. I really feel like this holiday has gotten out of hand and that people use it as an excuse to "show each other how they feel". What about the other 364 days of the year?! Sorry, sorry. Didn't mean to jump on a tirade. It's just after going through 2009, I'm much more grateful than I've ever been to have my husband by my side. People take each other for granted so often, and won't even admit it. If you love somebody you should show them all the time, not just one day a year.
That's one of the things that Michael and I have vowed to work on this year: taking at least one day a week and having a "date night", just the two of us. Sure, we spend a lot of time in the same rooms - for instance, right now we're both sitting on the couch and I'm updating the blog and he's playing a video game! Lol! But it's not very often that we take time to spend with each other without distractions - other people, computers, TV, games, phones, etc... and there's no excuse for that. I feel like last year was a lesson to both of us to really listen to each other, pay close attention, keep your eyes open, stay in constant communication, and be supportive of one another. That sounds like a no-brainer but there are times were those things seem almost impossible... which is why you should never take each other for granted. I always used to hate that phrase because it seemed so harsh and unforgiving - like you were this terrible selfish person who just didn't care about anyone or anything. But as I've gotten older (and wiser, ha) I've realized that taking someone for granted doesn't make you selfish or terrible... it just means you've gotten too comfortable and don't take the moments you used to... to step back and really appreciate what you have in your life.
There are these little cartoon's called 'Love Is...' If you've never seen them in the comic section of the newspaper, go google them. There are tons of images on the web! I don't think anything could be more true though... love is so many things. I think people get so caught up in the idea of "romance" that they forget that love goes so much deeper than that... it's so much more complicated and tangled. I think love encompasses every emotion there is... it's amazing that you can be so mad at the person you love you want to punch them in the nose, but yet you love them so much it just infuriates you even more! Haha! There's no room for naivety in love... no room at all.
That being said... we spent our day on the couch being lazy - we watched Couple's Retreat and then went to Pappasito's. Yes, I know what I just said about Valentine's Day, but you've got it all wrong. If you know Michael and I, you know that we love food. Pappasito's has this thing called the Plato Amor... it's to die for. We try to go every year! It's a pound of fajitas, shrimp brochette, lobster tails, and chocolate dipped strawberries!! It's amazing. There are no other words. Then we came home, and totally slept through The Time Travelers Wife. Both of us. Lol! Oh well... there's always this weekend! 

The fajitas, brochette, and lobster tail!

The yummy chocolate covered strawberries!
Our 7th Valentine's Day together. :)

1 comments:
I completely agree with you! It's so important that we show the people we love and care about them all year long, not just one or two days out of the year. I love your hair by the way!
Post a Comment