CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 6, 2009

My Prayer Request To Y'all

OK, so I realize it's totally out of character for me to post 2 days in a row (gasp!)... but it's kind of important that I do.

Today, my grandfather had to be rushed to the ER because of some issues (to put it mildly) with his heart. He basically had the symptoms of a heart attack and his heart rate was skyhigh at 201 bpm. Craziness!!! Luckily, it was not a heart attack... just an atrial flutter. While that still isn't great, it's much better than the alternative!! It's still kind of serious, but can be dealt with. The doctor came in and talked with us when we were getting ready to leave and explained what it all meant and how to fix it - which is with surgery (we're hoping he will have it in the next couple of weeks as long as the schedule allows it). They will basically shock the part of his heart that's causing the flutter and fibrulation (the atrium) so that it can "re-set" and beat at a normal rate. It's far more complicated than that, I'm just trying to simply.

I didn't find out until later today - I think mostly because my mom was trying to keep me from going crazy and not having to call a sub and play the waiting game all day - but I went and visited him in the hospital tonight. He's doing much better than he was this morning (hoo-ray!!!), but the doc still wants to see how his blood work fares over the night and through the morning, as well as his heart rate and his blood pressure. I feel very lucky that he's doing much better, but I know we're not totally out of the woods yet because he's going to have to have surgery. I mean come on, when he's angry that the doctor turned off Dancing With the Stars to come in and talk to him and he's begging for ice cream, I think he's doing much better!!! I told him he was stuck here for awhile longer because he's got to feed my daughter Blue Bell at 6 months, scare her with the 'witch that lives in the attic' story, and repeatedly watch The Wizard of Oz - teasing her about the evil witch and her flying monkeys. We still have some time left, so he'd better get used to it!

I met up with my best friend, her brother, and her dad afterwards and was lucky enough to feel like today wasn't so long and stressful... and was reassured by her dad that this surgery is a good thing and that I shouldn't worry about it. I'm so sick of worrying, I'm taking him up on that advice. He would know, he's a doctor!!!

We live only blocks from my grandparents (we're very blessed) and I can't imagine my life without both of them in it...I'm already shouldering a lot, but today was yet another reminder that life's short, and we can't take things for granted. I know we still have some things to see through before we're in the clear, but I would appreciate any and all prayers. Thanks, and love y'all!!

0 comments: