Yes, I know. I'm not doing very well at keeping up with this blog. But life keeps me super busy these days, and I just don't have the patience to sit here and type! I know I'll be thankful I did later... Sit back, grab some ice cream or coffee, it's going to be a long update! ;)
End of 20 weeks and my entire 21st week - So only 2 days before my 21 day mark (April 1 to be exact) and one month after my very first hospital visit, I got to experience my very first overnight hospital visit. Not. A. Fan. I had some pretty intense pain in the same region that I'd had pain before and decided to call my doc. I figured she'd want to see me, but I was not at all ready to listen to the possibility of surgeries being discussed or to be checked into the hospital. I never once thought it was that serious!! **Side note: the only ONLY positive here, was that we got more sonogram pics of Liam and got to see him wave at us from the sonogram!!** Unfortunately, the sono pics also showed what apparently was an unnatural amount of fluid/swelling of my right kidney, and my doc was all up in arms about it. They basically starved me all day (no food, no water from around 10ish - almost 7) because there was a possibility of surgery looming over my head all day. I was admitted to the hospital around noon, and taken into radiology around 3? There I got to be injected with contrast and have a couple of X-rays taken to see how my kidney was functioning. Luckily, the X-ray showed that there was nothing wrong with my actual kidney function and that the blockage appeared to be caused by my sweet son. Sitting on my ureter. **Your ureter is the little tube that connects your kidney to your bladder and allows it to drain.** My son is preventing that from completely happening. Thanks kid. I was put on fluids and observed and got to take a lovely IV tree with me every where I want. I've never been so bored in my entire life. Props to my amazing husband who slept in a recliner all night long (and kept watch every time someone entered the room and knew all the right questions to ask), my best friend who lost a patio date with me at OTB and had to settle for eating OTB on a hospital bed, my mom who kept me company and sane while my hubby went home to pack me up, and my sister who brought my TCU blanket and pillow so I'd feel a little my comfy in a very uncomfortable place!!
End of 20 weeks and my entire 21st week - So only 2 days before my 21 day mark (April 1 to be exact) and one month after my very first hospital visit, I got to experience my very first overnight hospital visit. Not. A. Fan. I had some pretty intense pain in the same region that I'd had pain before and decided to call my doc. I figured she'd want to see me, but I was not at all ready to listen to the possibility of surgeries being discussed or to be checked into the hospital. I never once thought it was that serious!! **Side note: the only ONLY positive here, was that we got more sonogram pics of Liam and got to see him wave at us from the sonogram!!** Unfortunately, the sono pics also showed what apparently was an unnatural amount of fluid/swelling of my right kidney, and my doc was all up in arms about it. They basically starved me all day (no food, no water from around 10ish - almost 7) because there was a possibility of surgery looming over my head all day. I was admitted to the hospital around noon, and taken into radiology around 3? There I got to be injected with contrast and have a couple of X-rays taken to see how my kidney was functioning. Luckily, the X-ray showed that there was nothing wrong with my actual kidney function and that the blockage appeared to be caused by my sweet son. Sitting on my ureter. **Your ureter is the little tube that connects your kidney to your bladder and allows it to drain.** My son is preventing that from completely happening. Thanks kid. I was put on fluids and observed and got to take a lovely IV tree with me every where I want. I've never been so bored in my entire life. Props to my amazing husband who slept in a recliner all night long (and kept watch every time someone entered the room and knew all the right questions to ask), my best friend who lost a patio date with me at OTB and had to settle for eating OTB on a hospital bed, my mom who kept me company and sane while my hubby went home to pack me up, and my sister who brought my TCU blanket and pillow so I'd feel a little my comfy in a very uncomfortable place!!
I was able to go home the next day (the day before my 21 day mark!) and take a shower and rest on my comfy couch - that didn't constantly readjust. I hate hospital beds BTW. My strict instructions were to push as much fluids as possible (like it's really easy to drink almost a gallon of water a day when you teach... yeah right) and to sleep on my left side since Liam has taken up residence on my right. I'm a die hard right side sleeper. This was NOT good news. I was also told to keep them up to date on my pain since that's what they're going to be monitoring from now on, and that we just have to hope that he's going to move at some point rather than stay in one place and continue to get bigger... which would only complicate the issue greatly. Apparently, I've made a super comfy home for my son and he has no intention of flipping away from breech or moving off my right ureter. Fun, fun! I also discovered that my pregnant belly will literally cramp if it feels as though it hasn't had enough to eat. Apparently, only eating fruit for breakfast (I'm sorry, but hospital food just isn't edible) and a Subway for lunch wasn't enough after basically not eating for an entire day and I called my mom because the pain was freaking me out. Amazing what eating will do for that... (Thanks again to Lauren and my mom for putting up with that... I was a little gun-shy after just getting released from the hospital!)
Lauren came over to keep me company on Saturday and I even got a visit from Amanda on Sunday! It's nice to know you are loved. :) Luckily, the rest of my 21st week stint was pretty calm. I took it as easy as possible and unfortunately have put my poor class on high alert for every time I make a grimace or have to sit down for too long. They follow me along with a water bottle every chance they get and ask if I've had enough to drink!! Haha. Lauren came over again at the end of the week (we are finally almost to week 22!) to help me get my classroom in order (two hospital visits in one month make you a little bit crazy!) and deal with things around the house. I started sleeping with a body pillow to aide in sleeping more through the night and possibly help with back pain and we FINALLY got to catch up on some Buffy. I can tell you this much, all feels right with the world when I can lounge on my couch and watch some old school Buffy... things seems a lot better when you realize you don't have to fight monsters of the world! ;) But in all seriousness, it was just nice to take it super easy for a weekend, and I can't imagine a better way to spend it than vegged out on the couch watching a favorite show - which happens to involve an awesome blonde and a super hot vampire. **They were the originals all you stupid Bella and Edward fans!!! Buffy + Angel!!!** :)
22 weeks - Wildfires broke out across North Texas late this week, and Possum Kingdom was in flames for several days. I had another doctor appointment today to check up on everything, which almost made me late getting back to work. It took 2 hours for us to be seen!! She felt like everything was good and told me to continue to sleep on my left side with my *huge* pregnancy pillow and to continue to push fluids... I'm pretty sure this is going to be my life until Liam makes his appearance!! I went shopping for a maternity dress for a wedding on Friday afternoon, and tried to clean off my glasses when I walked out of Old Navy. Burleson was super smoky!!! The wind was absolutely horrific...I can't remember a spring that's been so crazy with the wind. It's heartbreaking to know how much damage was done from the wildfires and lack of rain. I can honestly say there has been a lot of history made in 2011 so far!! Michael and I are in the throws of house hunting, and found a *gorgeous* house in Godley that we just fell in love with on 2 acres of land. I drove out there in the middle of all that nasty wind to go see it since Michael couldn't escape work and make it on time from Carrollton, and fell in love even more. I loved the neighbors, the idea of not hearing ambulances and police cars 24/7... I know where Michael and I will move someday when we are able to buy some land and build our own home from scratch!! :)
Clint and Amy's wedding was on Saturday - April 16... sitting in a car for several hours round trip was not good to the pregnant lady. We drove to Cransfills Gap, TX (a town I can honestly say I was unaware existed) to see Amy and Clint get married in a church that's officially a Texas historical landmark. While it was a beautiful church/wedding, I am soooo thankful that this wedding took place in April not in June or July - there was no air conditioning! In April, it wasn't a big deal at all - it was an absolutely beautiful day - but I can't imagine how miserable I would have been in the middle of Texas summer heat! The reception took place about 10-15 minutes away at a gorgeous old house that's been in Amy's family for generations, and was also a Texas historical landmark. This is definitely the first time I've ever been 100% sober at a wedding since I can remember... it's pretty interesting to people watch when so many people are consuming alcohol and you aren't! Haha!! After the reception ended we drove Amy and Clint to DFW airport to send them off to Jamaica! I'm totally jealous they got a tropical getaway... maybe Michael and I can plan a fantastic getaway for our 5 year anniversary after Liam comes?? I'd love to getaway before, but I'm too self conscious about what I look like right now and I feel like we will be way too busy moving and getting ready for our sweet little boy. Time is really starting to fly!
23 weeks - Thank God for Good Friday. Teaching a 4-day week before TAKS week is literally blissful. 4-day weeks always creep by, just because they're trying to spite you, but I think we all needed the 3-day weekend before TAKS. My sister's birthday was Thursday of this week and I got to go on a mini shopping haul to Motherhood. I love new clothes, but I'm not a huge huge fan of maternity clothes. I have discovered, however, that I really don't like wearing the loose fitting maternity clothes because it makes me look much bigger than I am. (Yes, I realize this is a complex and NO I don't care.)
23 weeks - Thank God for Good Friday. Teaching a 4-day week before TAKS week is literally blissful. 4-day weeks always creep by, just because they're trying to spite you, but I think we all needed the 3-day weekend before TAKS. My sister's birthday was Thursday of this week and I got to go on a mini shopping haul to Motherhood. I love new clothes, but I'm not a huge huge fan of maternity clothes. I have discovered, however, that I really don't like wearing the loose fitting maternity clothes because it makes me look much bigger than I am. (Yes, I realize this is a complex and NO I don't care.)
On my sister's birthday, I discovered that I now have an addiction to strawberry limeades (which I'd never had in my life before that night...) along with strawberry lemonade. I'm pretty sure that my son is going to pop out a strawberry considering all the strawberry products I ingest. Instead of Bubba Gump quoting shrimp, I'm rolling out the strawberries: strawberries with cheesecake, strawberries in ice cream (chocolate or vanilla, I really don't care!), chocolate covered strawberries, strawberry shortcake, strawberry cake w/strawberry icing, strawberry limeade, strawberry lemonade, strawberry slushes... do you get the idea?? And these are all products I've ingested (NO LIE) in the past 2 weeks. I can't get enough strawberry!!!
Aside from the strawberry addiction, her birthday was like a little mini family gathering. It was nice for everyone to be in one place together... I wish it was more frequent especially since we all live so close together. My sister is now a quarter of a century old!!! Afterward, I rode with Michael to go pick up Clint and Amy (since I didn't have school on Friday, yay!) , heard stories about their honeymoon and dropped them off at home (with really swollen ankles... sad face!!) and literally fell into bed and "died". I don't sleep that heavy very often any more, and it was absolutely amazing to not have an alarm wake me up. Even though my body will not allow me to sleep past 8 most days... that's usually pushing it. I literally spent my Good Friday being good to myself, and sat on my couch catching up on the DVR all day while I tried to get my ankles to return to their "normal" size. Yuck. Sunday was a little hectic, as holidays usually are around here. We went to my grandparents for my side of the family on Sunday, then to Sunnyvale for Michael's side. We have both agreed that we cannot WAIT for Liam to be the excuse to keep us from bouncing all over the place and overstuffing ourselves... I know that sounds terrible, but anyone who's had to do it totally understands!!! We can finally put our foot down and say "No, you can come to us!" Lol! I know it won't totally eliminate it, but it will definitely cut all the car time and 3 meals in one day down.
24 weeks - TAKS week!! I was super nervous about this week because I had to be on my feet for 2 straight days and, well, being on my feet for any extended amount of time with this kidney issue doesn't result in anything pleasant for me. Swollen feet and ankles, pain in my kidney region, back pain, exhaustion... blech. I really truly believe that anyone who says that pregnancy is "amazing and beautiful" had a flawless pregnancy with 0 complications. I don't buy it!!! Needless to say, my poor feet and ankles were in some immense pain by the time these tests were over, and I really think that pregnant women shouldn't have to partake in the ridiculousness of TAKS. Seriously. You have to be "actively monitoring" the entire time children are testing, which means literally pacing your entire room for hours on end. While I was able to wear tennis shoes, I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that they actually make my swelling worse. The past few times I've worn tennis shoes to school - it looks like I've sprained both ankles by the end of the day they're so swollen. Ridiculous! And we won't even talk about how bad my back was feeling by Wednesday afternoon. I took it as easy as I possibly could on Thursday and Friday, giving my kids "easy" stuff to do so I could stay off my feet as much as possible... but by the time I left school on Friday my ankles were literally the size of the middle of my calf. They couldn't possibly be classified as normal "cankles"... they were HUGE! Yet another reason I despise testing...
24 weeks - TAKS week!! I was super nervous about this week because I had to be on my feet for 2 straight days and, well, being on my feet for any extended amount of time with this kidney issue doesn't result in anything pleasant for me. Swollen feet and ankles, pain in my kidney region, back pain, exhaustion... blech. I really truly believe that anyone who says that pregnancy is "amazing and beautiful" had a flawless pregnancy with 0 complications. I don't buy it!!! Needless to say, my poor feet and ankles were in some immense pain by the time these tests were over, and I really think that pregnant women shouldn't have to partake in the ridiculousness of TAKS. Seriously. You have to be "actively monitoring" the entire time children are testing, which means literally pacing your entire room for hours on end. While I was able to wear tennis shoes, I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that they actually make my swelling worse. The past few times I've worn tennis shoes to school - it looks like I've sprained both ankles by the end of the day they're so swollen. Ridiculous! And we won't even talk about how bad my back was feeling by Wednesday afternoon. I took it as easy as I possibly could on Thursday and Friday, giving my kids "easy" stuff to do so I could stay off my feet as much as possible... but by the time I left school on Friday my ankles were literally the size of the middle of my calf. They couldn't possibly be classified as normal "cankles"... they were HUGE! Yet another reason I despise testing...
Michael and I had our first "date night" in what felt like forever... we got to go see Fast Five!!! If you know me at all, you know how excited I was for this movie to come out. While I am a "girly girl" through and through, there is a part of me that just really *loves* (and I'm talked 12 kinds of love loves)fast cars. Ever since I saw Gone in 60 Seconds the summer I graduated high school, there was a part of me that got tapped into that just has never been the same. And to be honest, I'm still waiting to find an amazing, classic, American muscle just waiting to be restored. Michael and I were just talking the other morning about how much fun that would be to do together!! Anywho... I digress. :) Sorry! I fell in love with The Fast and the Furious franchise on my first excursion to South Padre for my 19th birthday. Its kind of sad that the rest of the trip was that miserable (at least looking back now it was...) that Paul Walker and Vin Diesel coupled with fast cars is my finest memory, but it is a fine memory to have! ;) I learned a new little tidbit about my son: he apparently loves cars as much as mommy. Definitely as much as daddy. That little guy didn't STOP moving the entire movie, and he threw in extra ninja kicks every time the cars revved up. My boy has a need... a need for speed. We're definitely going to have to add Cars to Pooh and the Lion King now... it's definitely going to be a Disney nursery.
Needless to say, Fast Five was ah.maze.ing. I would go see it several more times if I had the option. I think it might honestly be the best one yet... and Vin Diesel has one more script up his sleeve. Afterwards, we walked over to Coldstone and enjoyed a yummmmmmy cone of ice cream (with strawberries, of course!). It was one of the best dates we've had in awhile - maybe it was the fast cars, maybe it was just being out of the house, maybe it was because we took time to spend with each other and really didn't talk about work. I loved it!
25 weeks - I've only been 25 weeks for a couple of days now, and my little monkey is super active! Of course I notice when he's moving, but it just seems like a natural day-to-day occurence now. I really only take HUGE notice when he ninja kicks me, haha!! Yesterday and today have been COLD, which is super weird considering it was in the high 80's on Saturday and today it's been in the 40's. What's up Texas?!?! Thank goodness it decided to get somewhat back to normal and be back in the 70's today. I'm ready for some normalcy! We are still on the hunt for somewhere to live, I still have no idea what I'm teaching next year... but hey, at least we are in it together and my son is apparently healthy as a horse! He's growing like a weed and is incredibly active. I guess as long as he's happy, momma is happy...? Haha!
25 weeks - I've only been 25 weeks for a couple of days now, and my little monkey is super active! Of course I notice when he's moving, but it just seems like a natural day-to-day occurence now. I really only take HUGE notice when he ninja kicks me, haha!! Yesterday and today have been COLD, which is super weird considering it was in the high 80's on Saturday and today it's been in the 40's. What's up Texas?!?! Thank goodness it decided to get somewhat back to normal and be back in the 70's today. I'm ready for some normalcy! We are still on the hunt for somewhere to live, I still have no idea what I'm teaching next year... but hey, at least we are in it together and my son is apparently healthy as a horse! He's growing like a weed and is incredibly active. I guess as long as he's happy, momma is happy...? Haha!
I'll try to not wait so long in between "catch ups"... but I've got a teaching blog going I tend to spend way more time on. I know that will change when I've got Liam to entertain me! ;)

0 comments:
Post a Comment